GWSC Council Membership Steering Committee
The Council Membership Steering Committee is chaired by the Vice President for Membership and includes the Council Commissioner, the three age-based programs Vice Presidents (Cubs, Scouts BSA, Young Adult), the Council Scout Executive, and the Council’s District Executive(s)
The Council Membership Committee establishes the annual membership plans and goals (link to plan), subject to Council Executive Board approval, and meets monthly to review progress to annual plan, manage the council membership budget, address membership issues and risks affecting zones and units, plan and execute council level membership strategies, and plan/execute council support of unit-led membership activities.
As necessary, the Steering Committee invites the council-level Training, Advancement, and Activities chairs to support membership-focused events and recruit volunteers to support projects.
GSWC Guiding Principles & Strategic Approach for Membership:
- The quality of the Scouting experience for youth and adult volunteers comes first.
- The most effective recruiter in Scouting is a Scout who is enthusiastic about their unit
- The Council Membership VP and Committee are responsible for setting goals and council wide strategies. The committee looks to share information, ideas, best practices, and resources/materials to enable unit membership activities
- Most membership activity is executed at the unit level through personal interaction with scouters and youth/families.
- The Council Membership VP and Committee will pursue activities that can complement and enhance unit-led membership activities, with a focus on reaching new families
- Every Scouting activity has the potential to be a membership activity – be creative
- Membership (recruiting and retention) is an all-year focus, not just during spring and fall campaigns
- Goal: Grow youth membership (total, all programs) by 10% from 2022 actuals by December 31, 2023
- Target: 1,833
- Goal: Grow Cub Scouts youth membership by 15% from 2022 actuals by December 31, 2023
- Target 894